The discipline dedicated to the analysis of market and consumer behaviors is known as marketing or marketing . Its objective is to work in the commercial management of companies to retain and retain customers, introduce new products, etc.
The services On the other hand, they constitute the set of activities that a company carries out to meet customer needs. A service is a non-material (intangible) good, which usually meets characteristics such as inseparability (production and consumption are simultaneous), perishability (cannot be stored) and heterogeneity (two services can never be identical).
The definition of these concepts allows us to refer to the marketing Service , which is the branch of marketing that specializes in this special category of products or goods.
This marketing specialization, therefore, should start from the basic characteristics of the services (intangibility , inseparability , perishability and heterogeneity ) to establish business management strategies.
This means that the marketing of services must take into account the predominantly intangible nature of the service (which can make it difficult to select competitive offers by the consumer) and the impossibility of storage (something that brings uncertainty to the marketing of services), Among other issues.
A concept related to this term is the marketing mix (in Spanish known by the name of marketing mix), a set of variables or tools that are responsible for marketing to achieve the goals of their companies.
The marketing mix of this branch of marketing has several differences compared to product marketing, because in this case the technology and the type of main client are fundamental. The usual marketing mix, on the other hand, does not include elements that are basic for the generation and delivery of the service.
The components of the marketing mix are the following:
* product: This classification also includes services, since marketing considers any product to be a good, tangible or intangible, that can be acquired, used or consumed in a market for the satisfaction of the wishes and needs of the public. It should be mentioned that even ideas, people, organizations and places can be labeled as products;
* price: the amount of money, job or time that a consumer must deliver to obtain a product. Some associated concepts are the payment method, volume and discounts. To find the right price it is necessary to carry out a thorough market study;
* distribution: This is the set of actions necessary to bring the product to the right audience, for which the historical moment and a series of cultural and economic factors must be considered. It is a fundamental element of the marketing mix;
* promotion: is the process of communication between companies and potential consumers to inform them about their products and convince them of their benefits. The promotion is key to the perception that people have of a company and must be carried out at all times, regardless of the existence of new products to show;
* personal: although it does not exist organization in which the staff does not play an important role, when the products are not tangible, it is the employees who make the first impression on the consumers and their performance can become almost as relevant as the quality of the services themselves;
* processes: all the phases that must be crossed for the creation and delivery of a service;
* presentation: It consists of all visible instances that may be related to the products and services of a company, such as its buildings, the clothing of its employees and the logo.